Tax refund from the Netherlands

Tax refund from the Netherlands


Tax refund from the Netherlands

Remember that a tax refund from the Netherlands awaits you! You just have to submit an annual tax return. Our company will prepare all necessary forms for tax settlement in the Netherlands for you. We will inform you about tax settlement dates and tax allowances in the Netherlands.

When I have to file a Dutch tax return?

  1. If you receive a letter (aangiftebrief) from the Belastingdienst with a request to complete the tax return for the previous year. If your financial matters are simple and do not contain any of the above, you may not receive a letter and you do not need to submit an annual tax return.
  2. If you underpaid tax for over than 45 euros or your overpaid tax is higher than 14 euros.

Contact us and we will help you determine if you are obliged to submit a declaration.

What is the deadline for submitting a declaration?

The deadline for submitting the annual income tax declaration is July 1 (preferentially until April 1, then the taxpayer should receive a decision up to 3 months, otherwise the tax office has 3 years to process the settlement) , unless you ask for the extension (uitstel aangifte). We can do it for you. If you do not file a tax return, you can be fined by the Dutch tax office.

What documents do I need for settlement?

Jaaropgaaf or Jaaropgave - documents, which every Dutch employer is obliged to give you after the end of the tax year.
If you have had more than one employer, then you must get Jaropgaaf or Jaaropgave from each of them.

Can I settle for the previous years?

In the Netherlands, you can settle up to 5 years back.

How will I get a refund?

The Dutch tax office Belastingdienst will send your tax refund directly to your bank account.

Why is it worth to settle as a non-resident?

If you have income from another country, or live outside of the Netherlands and have Dutch income, you usually have to submit a declaration to the Dutch Tax Office. If you moved during the year, filing a tax return may be beneficial because you may be entitled to a much higher tax refund.

To be considered as a non-resident, but with the right to settle as a resident, the following conditions must be met:

- be a citizen of one of the EU States;

- get at least 90% of your total income in the Netherlands;

- provide to the Dutch tax office an appropriate certificate of income from your country of residence.

General tax break (algemene heffingskorting)

The amount of relief you have the right to get depends on your income level. The amount of relief for people who have not yet exceeded the retirement age in 2017:

  • 2,254 euros for people with taxable income below 19.982 euros.
  • 2.254 euros to 0 euro (depends on income) for people with income from 19.982 to 67.068 euros.
  • 0 euro for people with income above 67.068 euros.

You can get a partner's tax relief if his/her income is less than 6.000 euros. Retired people are eligible to lower the general tax credit, from 1.151 to 0 euros as income increases.

Joint Settlement 

It is available to people who:

  • are spouses or partners with a official civil union,
  • are raising a child together,
  • have a flat or a house purchased jointly,

Conditions that must be met:

  • taxpayer's income in the Netherlands must exceed EUR 19.922;
  • gross income of a fiscal partner may not exceed EUR 6,355.(It is desirable if the partner has not reached any income),
  • if you are settling not with your spouse, then it is a requirement that the joint residence lasts a minimum of 6 months,
  • the condition is that the spouse should also have the BSN / SOFI number, and marriage certificate on EU print, certificate of joint registration translated by a sworn translator into English, German or Dutch, a certificate of income for both spouses should be enclosed.